3 Comments

As you know I made the Eurofighter EDF model, but I made it out of foamboard which made it rather heavy and despite the 14 blade fan, the 1300watt motor and the 100Amp esc I put in to power it, it was still too underpowered for the weight of the plane.

So I’m re-making it from depron to reduce the weight and thought I would post updates and build note here. So the Mk2 is born. I have removed the various electronics from the Mk1. One thing I have discovered for the best cutting of depron is to try and keep the knife as low to the depron as possible. Like This:

20131125_200412r

Not Like this:

20131125_200400

This seems to help stop snagging.

So after a lot of playing, I’ve found I have needed to reinforce most of the bends with tape, which wasn’t needed for the foamboard. Partially slice through, bend, then put tape on the back seems to be the best way I have found. I have also discovered that hot glue completely disintegrates depron. I dont know if you have ever dipped a prawn cracker in soup, but it seems to do that same effect to depron (hot glue that is, not soup).

I did put the fan unit:

20131126_201704r

in almost last previously, this led to the problem that the carbon spar across the middle got in the way and I had to move it back, changing the centre of gravity. So this time I built the body around it, put the wings on, then pushed the spar through and glued it into place. So right now it looks like this:

20131127_074845r

Next step was pointing the nose. I haven’t found an easy way to do this, I just had to put a bit of glue down 2 pieces on each side, then hold it for ages whilst it sticks, then do 2 more pieces. It takes ages, I couldn’t put a clip on it because it crushes the nose and so there are lots of black gluey finger prints on it but this is what it ends up as

20131128_215221r

and with the canopy done too

20131128_215231r

Magnets and lolly sticks to keep it in place

20131128_221239r

But then I made a mistake, I put the tail on, I should have waited until I’d done all the work on the underside before I did this.

20131129_073814r

I did find a box which was the perfect depth to support the body and accommodate the tail. So pushrods and servos installed

20131129_202614r

Then the bottom on, canards in, a lick of paint and its all ready to for a final install of the battery, check of the centre of gravity and final check of the electronics

20131130_121258r

All ready for its maiden on Sunday. Total flying weight is 970grams.

Building time was 4 evenings and a Saturday morning. Lets see how well it flies.

  1. Ray Hobby says:

    Chris
    That is a real quick mean machine, no wonder the damage was so great. but no doubt you will soon be back in the air.
    Good Job done
    Ray

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>